How to Prepare Your Roof for Tropi-Cool® 100% Silicone White Roof Coating
Roof preparation is crucial to ensure the adhesion of any roof coating. That’s because any debris, dirt, or other contaminants on the roof surface can prevent coatings from properly adhering to the substrate. This can lead to the coating peeling off. Proper preparation ensures a clean, smooth, and uniform surface for coating adhesion.
Extend the life of your roof with Tropi-Cool in three simple steps.
- Wash: Clean your roof using a non-filming detergent and a pressure washer or high-pressure nozzle and water hose. Be careful not to inject water into the roof substrate while washing. For stubborn dirt and contaminants, use a stiff bristle brush or broom and additional water and detergent to scrub the area clean. If you have a metal roof, remove rust using a wire brush.
- Algae or Moss: If algae or moss are present, mix 50% laundry-strength liquid chlorine bleach with 50% water. Apply the solution to the roof with a sprayer and let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then rinse thoroughly with low-pressure water. Avoid letting the solution dry completely and take proper precautions to protect your landscaping and surrounding areas from the chlorine bleach.
- Rinse: After washing the roof and spraying algae or moss, give it a final rinse to make sure it is free of all detergent or anything else that could affect adhesion. Allow the roof to dry completely before the next step.
- Clean and Test: Use a leaf blower or broom to remove any remaining dust, dirt, debris, and foreign material that may prevent proper adhesion. Test a small area over the existing roof substrate to confirm that there is no bleed-through and that the coating adheres properly.
- Repair and Seal: Repair roof defects, such as splits, cracks, blisters, deteriorated flashing, and cracked metal edging. Seal all roof penetrations, curbs, flashings, transition areas, and other leak-prone areas. Use Henry® 884 Tropi-Cool® 100% Silicone Roof Sealant or Henry® 885 Tropi-Cool® 100% Silicone Seam & Repair Roof Sealant.
- Check: Make sure all roof drains and gutters are clean and clear and cut back any vegetation growing above the roof which could cause debris to fall on the roof and clog drains and gutters in the future.
- Your clean, dry, and fully prepared roof is now ready to be coated with Henry® 887 Tropi-Cool® 100% Silicone White Roof Coating.
- Application: Refer to the application instructions prior to applying.
Please read and follow all product label instructions before starting your project.