How to Apply Tropi-Cool® 100% Silicone White Roof Coating
Henry® 887 Tropi-Cool® 100% Silicone White Roof Coating is a premium, moisture-cure coating designed to protect your roof from the elements and provide a long-lasting waterproof seal. It can be used on many different commercial and residential roof substrates to reflect the sun’s heat and UV rays, as well as seal and protect the surface. It works well on flat and low-slope roofs and is suitable for pitched roofs.
Follow these simple steps to make sure your project goes smoothly, and you get the best results possible.
- Prep: Before applying Tropi-Cool make sure your roof is clean, dry, and frost-free. Prepare the substrate by following the roof preparation instructions.
- Applicator: Apply Tropi-Cool using a roller, brush, or commercial airless spray rig. If using a roller, use a 1/2” to 1” nap lint-free roller. Spray rigs should have a minimum output of 3 gallons per minute and produce at least 3500 psi at the spray gun tip.
- Mix: Before applying Tropi-Cool, thoroughly mix the product. For best results, use a drill and mixing paddle. For one and five-gallon pails, use a 3" diameter mixing paddle or hand mix with a suitable paddle until consistent viscosity is achieved. For drums, use a minimum 6" diameter mixing paddle.
- Apply: Tropi-Cool can be applied in one smooth even coat over the entire roof surface, including parapet walls. The minimum coverage is 1.5 gallons per 100 square feet, and the minimum dry film thickness (DFT) should be 22 mils. On steep slopes or rough surfaces, additional coats may be required. Do not apply if temperatures are below 35 °F or if rain is expected within 15 minutes of application.
- Usage: Tropi-Cool should be used up as soon as possible after opening the container. Keep the container covered and sealed when practical. If a skin forms in the container, simply remove it, and mix the product before use.
- Cure Time: Tropi-Cool is rain-safe in 15 minutes and cures in two to six hours, depending on weather conditions. Subsequent coats should be applied within 48 hours. When applying subsequent coats, make sure they are perpendicular to the previous coat. For example, apply the first coat north and south and the second coat east and west.
- Clean-Up: Use VM&P Naphtha or mineral spirits to clean tools and spray equipment. Do not leave the product in spray guns, pump equipment, or hoses for prolonged periods unless they have moisture lock hoses, fittings, and seals.
- Precaution: Tropi-Cool creates extremely slippery surfaces, so use caution when applying and walking on the coating.
Please read and follow all product label instructions before starting your project.