Protecting Your Roof With Reflective Coatings
Learn more about reflective coatings
- Choosing the right reflective coating
- Save energy with Henry cool roof reflective coatings
- Save money with Henry cool roof reflective coatings
- Learn about all Henry cool roof reflective coatings
Applying your cool roof reflective coating
Depending on whether you are applying aluminum coatings or elastomeric coatings, or whether you are applying them to an older or newer roof, there are specific steps Henry recommends you follow to obtain a professional, quality reflective roof coating. Review the steps below before beginning any application process. If you have any additional questions, contact a Henry representative for more details.
To apply aluminum coatings:
- SURFACE PREPARATION: Before coating, repair all existing roof leaks (See “Repairing roof leaks”). Remove rust and scale from metal by wire brushing. Make sure surface is clean and free of dust, dirt, and loose materials.
- Stir coating thoroughly, until reaching a uniform, bright silver color.
- Using a roofing brush or roller, apply coating at the rate of 1.5 to 2 gallons per 100 square feet, spreading evenly.
To apply white elastomeric coatings to newer roofs in good condition:
- SURFACE PREPARATION: Before coating, make sure surface is clean and free of dust, dirt, and loose materials, and repair all existing roof leaks (See “Repairing roof leaks”). Repair all splits, tears, blisters, and other areas of potential leak problems with Henry 289 White Roof Sealant. Embed Henry 296 ElastoTape® into the repair area, and cover with a second, heavier coat of Henry 289 White Roof Sealant.
- Stir coating to a uniform consistency.
- Using a brush or roller, apply coating in two coats – each coat at a rate of 1 gallon per 100 square feet. The first coat should be applied in a north-south direction, and the second coat should be applied in an east-west direction. Allow coating to dry between coats.
To apply white elastomeric coatings to older roofs in fair condition, and in need of waterproofing:
- Follow SURFACE PREPARATION above for white elastomeric coatings in good condition.
- Apply a base coat of 107 Asphalt Emulsion. It provides a thick layer of waterproofing protection. Apply at a rate of 3 gallons per 100 square feet. For additional protection, a second coat of Asphalt Emulsion can be applied after the first coat has dried. The first coat should be applied in a north-south direction, and the second coat should be applied in an east-west direction.
- Apply white coatings according to instructions above.